System Services Broadband
Job Title: Fiber Splicer
Reports To: Corporate Fiber Specialist
Direct Reports: None
Work Location: Varies
Job Summary: Perform activities ensuring successful build and maintenance of end-to-end fiber optic networks.
Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions:
- Utilize existing and future fiber optic plants, while maximizing integrity, and reliability.
- Ensuring fiber optic cables are installed in a manner that minimizes risk of damage and is consistent with industry standards. Aerial and Underground.
- Planning and executing fiber splicing in a way that minimizes customer impact and follows all applicable guidelines.
- Providing final documentation, as-builts, to all necessary departments/personnel.
- Provide technical assistance to internal departments and organizations.
- Test and troubleshoot continuity of fiber optic networks.
- Operate testing equipment and find resolutions to problems typically encountered in fiber network construction.
- Effectively prepare fiber splicing enclosures
- Properly utilize splicing and OTDR testing equipment
- Effectively utilize proper knowledge of fiber design instruction and documentation
- Understand light levels and DB loss information.
- Follow system guidelines when working with active plants.
- Activate and balance amps by using signal strength meter and voltameter.
- Ability to train and mentor apprentice splicers.
- Identify, report and resolve design problems and discrepancies with existing design.
- Consistently meet assigned production schedules
- Interact with customers, co-workers and property owners and other utility workers in a professional manner.
- Keep knowledge up to date with industry best practices to maximize job performance.
- Must possess a current Chauffer’s License and hold a clean driving record.
- Must demonstrate the ability to read, interpret, and apply basic safety, operations, and industry procedure norms.
- Possess knowledge and ability to complete splicing in such a way as to produce a superior end-product.
- Must have current, working knowledge of fiber optic principles, both theory and practical – Fiber optic design and architecture – Fiber optic splicing, including use of splitters, and filters – Fiber optic test equipment.
- Proven ability to build working relationships in cross-functional working groups.
- Must have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including and ability to present and discuss technical, functional, and managerial information clearly and concisely.
- Experience with testing, troubleshooting, and splicing fiber optic cables and equipment.
- On call for after hour outages and demands.
- 3-5 years previous fiber splicing experience
- Work without fear of heights
- Possess the physical ability to safely climb poles, ladders, and other structures.
- Proficiently perform construction duties while working from a ladder, tree, tower, utility poles, and other structures while using climbing gear
- Must have physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 80 pounds and push and/or pull 50-pound loads.
- Must be able to work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand and walk up to eight hours per day.
What we offer for your hard work:
Competitive pay and benefits! The following benefits are offered upon reaching eligibility:
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with a company match, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, and a Bonus Program!
*All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
To apply for this job please visit www.systemservicesusa.com.